For those stuck in the old ways, we’d like to bust some common myths about automation.
Just as old cell phones have evolved into smartphones with multiple manufacturers & brands (like iPhone/Galaxy/Pixel/Lumia), so to have automation solutions for production lines and stand-alone equipment evolved. Automation technology has grown to the point where there are multiple options & brands readily available from many manufacturers.
Automation Myths, Busted
- MYTH: “Automation costs a lot more.”
BUSTED: The initial investment for Automation is a lot less then you think, and the technology packs a serious punch when it comes to giving you a substantial return on your investment (excellent ROI). The best part is that automation is scale-able, and can grow with your process over time.
- MYTH: “Automation is complicated.”
BUSTED: We strive to make the complex simple. This technology has grown by leaps and bounds, it is incredibly intuitive & user-friendly, and it’s getting easier every day.
- MYTH: “Automation servicing & parts are hard to get.”
BUSTED: The parts are often in-stock, or immediately available to order. You are not down for a week while waiting for a part, this technology is readily available and widely supported.
- MYTH: “It’s going to be too hard to train my workforce to use it [Automation].”
BUSTED: KOSS Programmers design the interfaces to be as easy to use as possible! With your input, we ensure ease of use (we use graphics/images to show your equipment on the touchscreens). We modify your screens so that you are able to easily control your process, using the lingo/verbiage/jargon terms that those in your plant use every day! For example, if your guys call KOSS’ Grinder “The Processor”, then our Programmers will change the label. Your user-interfaces complement your plant perfectly!
- MYTH: “My People Carefully Follow Our Recipes (no real benefit in Automation)”
BUSTED: The truth is…personnel DO modify recipes. Whether they’re attempting to be helpful (and have excellent reasons for deviating from the recipe), or they stray from the recipe purely on accident, the fact is that people are only human, subject to human-error. Automation, however, is not human! It can reduce judgement errors and inefficiencies by ensuring control. Many processing set-points are highly subjective in nature (i.e. visual/color, taste, consistency, etc.) – Automation eliminates the discrepancies of subjective decision-making, that otherwise varies with each operator shift change in personnel.
- MYTH: “We’re already Automated, so we don’t need to look into it [Automation].”
BUSTED: Just like your smartphone becomes outdated as new versions are release, new advances also occur in Automation. You upgrade your smartphones, your computers, your software…why not upgrade your Automation? You should at least look into it. Technology is growing at such a rapid rate. You need to make sure that you are reaping all the benefits of your existing Automation, stay up to date on upgrades and advancements in technology.
Benefits of Automation
- Simplify The Complex – it’s easy to understand & operate.
- Reduce Human Error – eliminate mistakes or slight miscalculations by effectively controlling your process.
- Improve Efficiency – reduce cycle times and increase throughput by optimizing a repetitive (or delicate) process through automation (for example, increase efficiency by utilizing batch recipes.
- Data Recovery & Logging – enjoy the perks of analytics; improve your product and your process by reviewing the data, then you can make adjustments to ensure that every batch comes out better.
- Log Recipes, Minimize Risks, Enhance Your Product – Get better scores on your risk assessments. Control every step of your process to minimize risks. Know why it turned out better when someone tweaks a recipe. Control batches and track ingredients’ lot numbers for precise quality control.
- User Friendly – easy to use, operator friendly. Touch screen operation is ideal for production line use as it is very user-friendly. Operators are able to easily navigate the production line and its individual machines. With an image of the machine accompanying its specific control, precision is made easy!
- Scale-able – We can plan ahead long-term. By starting you off at a lower initial investment and gradually bringing the rest of your plant (or process) online over time. We can make this technology more affordable & manageable for you. This ideal investment can grow with your process over time.
Ask Us About Automating!
Trust KOSS to make your process work in the way that is best-suited to you. Don’t worry if you have different brands of automated equipment or other challenges; we can tie into existing automation, or re-optimize your entire process/plant. Consider Koss Industrial, Inc. for Sanitary Process Control & Monitoring – we specialize in batch and continuous, from stand-alone equipment to plant-wide integration. KOSS understands the challenges present when providing compliant solutions and meeting unique project requirements. We will strive to make the complex simple.
Optimize Your Process & Energy Efficiency.
KOSS is a UL Listed 508A Panel Shop #E330004 – we offer control panel design and assembly, custom operator interfaces (push button, standalone, distributed), field services, a fully stocked parts department & electrical service vehicles, data collection (chart recorder, videographic, process historian with reporting), and PLC programming. Controls can be programmed to offer multiple recipes’ steps, ensure consistency by reducing human input. Utilize batch control to specifically organize activities and functions, ensuring consistency. So please…consider reaching out to us, let’s optimize YOUR manufacturing process and energy efficiency!
Call us for more Automation information – Koss Industrial, Inc. 1.800.844.6261 (toll-free).